Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Chapter 29: Race At The Old Mill

Ashley had goosebumps as she watched him sing this song to her.




He had really gone out of his way.  For the band to even learn the song was a big deal. They didn't play this sort of fluff at all and she knew it. She was so happy. Her smile felt like it was permanently etched across her face. She had really been throwing back the champagne and she was feeling really good. Holding up her arms and dancing around.


He reached down and grabbed her hands. He was pulling her up on stage.

"Oh my God John!"

"Come on I want you up here with me!"

He continued singing and hugged her. She sang and danced with him. At some point he put the microphone up to her mouth and she sang a line all by herself. And either John was blinded by love or she sounded damn good to him.

When the song was over the crowd roared. The Fast Lane was really packed. There were a lot of females in here tonight and they loved this type of music. Jack was surprised, that the song got this type of reaction.

Bret was standing at the bar, smoking a cigarette.


 He had been watching them on stage. He was happy to see Ashley so happy. But he didn't trust John as far as he could throw him. And he would love to throw him after he punched him first, of course.

He watched John hug and kiss her and the crowd seem to cheer and eat it up. It took him back to last summer, how he used to pull her, up on stage. How he kissed her. He never could understand how he got so wrapped up in her, in such a little time frame. But he would have done anything for her. Still would. "I've seen enough of this shit." He mumbled and headed back to his office.

"Oh John, that's the sweetest thing anybody has ever done for me." She grabbed his face and pulled him down to her and she kissed him so hot and heavy, he felt a little dizzy when she finally let him go."

Jack laughed. "Hey Ashley,  I think I sang on that song too. Where's my kiss?"

"Yeah me too." She heard from the back of the stage.

She laughed and John laughed and yelled out. "Oh hell no! Get your own damn girl! She's all mine."



Jack smiled. "Okay Ash when you lose this bum, come see me!"

She grinned. And John looked at her. "You know he's not kidding, right? All these assholes want you. Baby you are so fine!" He smiled and hugged her. "How did I get so lucky?"

"I'm pretty lucky myself, with my hot rock star boyfriend." She smiled at him.


"Hey rock star, get your ass over here and help me with this amp! It's messing up again and we've got three more songs to do!" Jack yelled tinkering with the amp.

She giggled. "I love you, I'll be at my table watching you."

"Okay."

As she sat down, sipping more champagne she had ordered, a girl came up to her. "Is Johnny your boyfriend?"

"Yes."

"He's so hot!"

She looked up at him trying out the amp with his guitar. His long hair flowing and his nice rounded ass fitting rather nicely in his totally tight levis.

"Oh my Lord how I love his ass in a pair of levi's!" She drifted off in thought.

"Yes he is." Ashley smiled still watching him.

"You know he went out, for a while with my cousin. They were really hot and heavy. He was really in to her."

"Who is your cousin?" Ashley really wanted to know.

"Patty Smyth."

Ashley cut her eyes toward her. Knowing good and well who Patty was. "So Patty's your cousin?"

"Yeah she used to come up here all the time. She stays away now, mostly because of Johnny."

"Really why?"

"I don't think she ever really got over him." She turned and walked away.

Leaving Ashley sitting there with about a million questions about Patty and nobody really to answer them. Except maybe Richie and she didn't even see him right now.

The band played two Southside Johnny songs and one Bruce Springsteen song and they were done. They packed everything up and headed to the bar. The band always got a few free drinks after the show. And they planned to enjoy every one of them.

John walked up smiling. "Hey baby were you surprised?"


"I sure was. I loved your version a lot more than the original. You'll have to sing it for me, when we're alone."

"I can't wait to be alone with you." He grinned putting his arm around her.

John ordered him a beer and she hard already used her pass to get more champagne.

"You know I hate you using that damn thing."

"What? My card?"

"Yeah, because Bret gave it to you."

"It saves me a lot of money on champagne."

"Well one day I hope to have enough money to keep you in all the champagne you can drink."

"Aww that's so sweet John."

John was downing a shot. When Mike the bartender came over to him.

"Johnny."

"Yeah."

"Didn't you buy Harold's little sports car from him?"

"Yeah man."

"This guy over here in the red jacket was asking about it."

"Thanks Mike." John sat his glass down. "I'll be right back. He looked at Ashley and smiled.

He walked over to this guy. "Hey man, were you asking about the white 280 outside."

"Yeah, is that your ride?"

"Yeah, I just got it."

"Have you opened it up on the road yet?"

"Not fully yet, no."

"I got a '78 280 I'm headed over to Jernee Mill Road in the next few minutes to race a guy in a camaro from the old mill parking lot."

"That's cool."

"Would you be interested in seeing what yours has under the hood?"

"I don't know man? Is it for money?"

"Sometimes. It just depends. Sometimes it's just to be king of the mountain."

"Okay yeah man I'll bring it over there."

Richie walked up. "What's up Johnny?"

"This guy is telling me about some races at the old mill tonight."

"Yeah I heard it from Stephen. Let's go!"

"Let me get Ash."

"Come  on baby, we're out of here."

"Where are we going?"

"Out to the old mill to see what my little white car has under the hood!"

"Oh I love a good race! That was every Saturday night, back home!"

"Finish up your champagne so we can go!"

She downed the whole glass in a big gulp. "I'm done."

"Damn sometimes I worry about you!"

"What?" She giggled.

"You might be an alcoholic or something?"

Her eyes lit up like a blaze. "What, me?" The way you and your friends are always  tossing beers and shots back, like you're in a damn contest!"

"I was kidding!" He laughed. But he really wasn't.

"You better be!" She looked at him still  feeling a little perturbed.


They walked out with a few of their friends to head to the old abandoned mill.

They pulled up to a parking lot that was pretty full when they got there. News of a good street race always traveled fast.

Richie and David jumped out of the camaro.

"Damn I want to race mine, Richie walked up to John and Ashley.

"Take me to get my car Richie! I'll race you!" Ashley staggered just a little and slurred."

"Oh no!" John grabbed her. "Your drunk baby. You ain't racing nothing!" He grinned at her.

"Well you've been drinking!" She countered back at him.

"A little, I was on stage when you were tossing 'em back like water!" He laughed.

"Damn it John!" She whined.

"Come here, I love you. You little lush." He started laughing so hard and Richie joined in with him, which really pissed her off.


She hit him. "You better shut up John Bongiovi! I'll kick your ass!"

"I'll let you. If you'll kiss it and make it all better. He chuckled.

"Johnny! Whose riding with you?" Richie asked.

"Me me, I am!" Ashley hollered and jumped a little making one of her shoes come off. She bent over to get it and her dress hiked way up.

"She's trashed man!" Richie laughed admiring the view. Which was pissing John off a little.

"Ashley! He grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side with her shoe still in her hand.

"Yeah, baby you are trashed! "Here." He grabbed her dress and tugged it down a little. "Your damn dress keeps hiking up! Keep it pulled down. Okay?" He took her shoe and put it back on for her.

She grabbed him and pulled him into her. "I could take it off!" She whispered and stuck her tongue in his ear a little."

"Oh hell! Don't be doing that shit to me before I race!" I won't be worth a damn!  He laughed. "You save that for later tonight."

"Okay she grinned. As her skirt was hiking up a little again and she was too hammered to notice."

Two cars came barreling back down the road and a black Charger was whipping a red Chevelle Super Sport's ass. It pulled into the parking lot and came to a stop.





"Is that him?" John yelled spotting Jake's car.

"John! Please don't start anything with him!" Ashley pleaded.

Jake jumped out happy about his win and noticed Ashley right off.

John was giving him a cold, hard, almost evil look.

"Hey Ashley."

"Jake. This is my boyfriend John."

"Did you tear up my fucking yard man?" John yelled.

Jaked lied. "No man it wasn't me!" But John didn't believe him.

"Anybody want to try this country boy? I just beat a Super sport and a corvette!" Jake laughed.

"Oh I do!" John snapped wanting to do a lot more to him than just race.

"John!" Ashley screamed.

"What?" He looked at her.

"I'm coming with you!"

"No you're not!" He gave her a look that she knew meant he wasn't playing.

"Richie look out for her!" He leaned over to Richie's ear. "Try to make her keep that damn dress down."

Richie laughed. "Okay man, I'll try."

John jumped in his car. He had raced his mustang plenty of times but not the 280 yet. He had heard it was fast as shit! He hoped so. He could look at the charger and tell it was!

The guy  out front yelled go and John and Jake barreled out of there. Up the road it looked pretty even until they got out of sight a little. The charger pulled ahead. John wasn't about to fall behind he shifted gears and gave it more gas. Coming out of the turn to go back to the mill John was ahead. He opened that little 280 all the way up. When they reached the mill. John was ahead as the screeched his tires to stop.

John jumped out and picked up his girl, his lucky charm. He was kissing her, when Jake pulled up looking like he could chew through nails.

Jake got out and stood by his car. Some guy in a souped up camaro wanted to race John.

"Okay man. I'll be right back. You stay with Richie!"

"I want to go John!" She yelled but he was already pulling out.

Richie was talking to two blondes he had just met. Ashley walked a little down the parking lot to see John when he came back.

"He don't let you ride shotgun, like I did huh?" She looked up and Jake was standing there. He could tell she was wasted. Just like he liked her.

"He's coming right back. She replied looking up the road for him.

"Let's get out of here Ash!"

She looked over at him. And his familiar beautiful brown eyes were pleading with her to leave with him.

"No! I'm waiting for John!"

"He'll never love you like I do Ash! Y'all will never have what we had together! He'll never stay with you when you put him off and won't sleep with him! He won't wait for you, like I did."

She laughed a little. "He doesn't have to, because I already did it with him!" She slurred a little.

Jake's face turned almost white as he was in shock and then a deeper shade of red because his blood started to boil. "You slept with that asshole?"

"Yep I did!"

Richie noticed where she was and was just about to go over there when John pulled up, beating the Camaro and slamming on brakes.


John jumped out mad as hell and walked up to Richie. "What the fuck man? I told you to look out for her!"


"Sorry man, but I shouldn't have to police your drunk ass girlfriend!"


"Fuck you Richie!"

John was pissed and headed straight for Ashley.

"Come on Ash! We're leaving!"

"Okay." She started walking toward him.

John noticed Jake mean mugging him.

"What's your problem man?" He yelled and threw up his hands.

Jake just stared giving him an evil look.

"Get in the car Ashley!"

John ran over too him. "You got a problem with me?" He yelled  he was pissed and letting him know it.

"Fuck yes I do asshole!" Jake yelled back ready to tear John limb from limb.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 93: A Perfect Night

John was trying to finish the last swallow of a beer he had grabbed out of the fridge. He wasn't worried in the least about mixing his m...